Lumina fdaFlight Data Analysis
Lumina fda is a modern and powerful web-based analysis, trending, and event detection tool. Your flight data is now easily accessible on any device running a modern web browser and a high-speed internet connection. Lumina fda, our flight analysis solution, allows you to directly monitor your operation, verify your standards and training programs as well as validate corrective actions taken as a result of SMS inputs. As required, the results of these analytics can be used to develop action plans to improve flight safety. Flight safety officers and investigators now have the flexibility to work from anywhere by logging into the system through a browser.
Flight Data Monitoring FDM/FDA/FOQA
Lumina fda enhances flight data analysis and safety management systems by giving you easy access to multiple functions in one place. This modern environment was designed by combining human factors principles with innovative technology and our experience in accident investigation and flight data analytics. It fulfills all your FDM needs in one, easy-to-use, space available from anywhere using a web browser:
- Event detection functions
- Dashboards and reports
- Quick animation viewer
- Fuel optimization analytics
Select our FDA Suite for access to:
- Real-Time Safety Dashboards and Reports
- "Big Data": Analytics
- Effortless information exchange with your team by copying an URL (of an event or flight)
- Economics (SET, RTU, APU, ACD, RNAV and GHG studies, reactive and predictive maintenance (Mx) initiatives)
- Conditional automatic notifications sent to managers and support personnel
- Business Intelligence Analysis such as fuel monitoring programs
Lumina Data Analytics And Reporting
Lumina fda is breaking new ground by using leading-edge technologies to
enhance flight data analysis and reporting and gives you the power to
freely ask questions about your flight data without affecting your
flight data analysis results and reports. Designed and implemented over
five years with major airlines as well as being implemented with smaller
What does this mean for a typical FDA/FDM user with years of flights in their database? Experienced FDA/FDM personnel will know that as a database gets larger, listing events or plotting values can take several minutes. With Lumina it takes seconds! In the past, calculating new aggregates or running new events on years of flight data was practically impossible. Using Lumina fda, results can be extracted from 50,000 raw flights in only minutes. In addition, multiple values can be exported at the same time giving you the ability to search for correlations or patterns.
Another area where analysis within most traditional FDM Systems is not possible is related to economic studies, which by definition are continually evolving. However, Lumina users can extract numerous key performance indicators and display them in ways not otherwise possible to date.
Lumina E3 is a fuel & economic analysis tool. It is an enhanced report
of your aircraft's/fleet's economic performance. E3 identifies
inefficiencies that can save money when addressed.
- Fuel Efficiency Assessments - Fuel Conservation
- Fulfilling EU Emissions Monitoring and Reporting Requirements
- Aircraft Movement Analysis - Ground Holds
- Airport Analysis (Runway Condition)
- Aircraft Performance Studies
- Arresting Systems Analysis (Brakes/Thrust)
- Flight Plan Validation
Simplified FDM Procedures
1. Data Transfer to Groundstation for AnalysisFlight data is transferred to a ground-based replay center located at APS Aerospace's data center by either manual quick access recorders (QAR), Digital Flight Recorder or Wireless means.
2. Flight Data AnalysisData is replayed utilizing FDM software which detects programmed events and reposits the events in a secure database for analysts to review. Data is analyzed for any special “commercial” or business intelligence-related items if optioned by the operator.
3. Validation ProcessAnalysts review the data to ensure its validity and select significant events for review by the FDM team.
Review Process and Action
- Significant events and trends are analyzed by the FDM team
- Reports are prepared and made available
- Dashboards are automatically updated with validated information
- Action initiatives can be tracked over time to provide positive feedback and determine the program's effectiveness and impact under SMS requirements
Lumina 2dCore Plot/List System
Lumina 2d is our cutting-edge plot and list engineering replay tool previously known as FASTER. Together with it, we offer our legacy software Insight|Analysis, used by many investigation bureaus and maintenance organizations.
Lumina 2d - Plot and List Engineering Replay
Lumina 2d is a software module for flight data and cockpit voice
recorder import and replay. Lumina 2d has the ability to import data
files downloaded directly from Flight Data Recorders QAR/DAR/DFDR.
It also has the ability to import various other types of files directly into the system such as:
- Comma Separated Value Files (CSV)
- Simulator Output Files
- ADS/B data
- Separate or same tabs
- Trace parameters have options for the color of trace, scales etc.
- Titles and page sizing for printing
- Parameter overlay to easily see diverging values
- Search function to find parameters with specific values
- Multiple tabs and floating windows allowed
- Flight Path Reconstruction Configuration Editor
- Rubber Band Flight Path Adjustment Feature
- Catalogue Editor (for Managing/Configure/Programming and Deriving Data
- Mathematical Tools for working with and making calculations on data, “Derived Parameters”
- Expert Python Script
Insight|Analysis - Core Plotting System
While we are working on augmenting the capabilities of Lumina 2d and
merging functionalities between our two plotting solutions we are still
offering our legacy software Insight|Analysis together with the current
version of Lumina 2d.
- Datamap and Flight Data Editor
- User-programable functions with the Function Editor
- Deriving parameters from raw data automatically or manually
- Fully customizable screen layout with save-layout functionality
- Save plot layouts as templates for rapid data analysis
- Automatic detection and filtering of NCD, NDU or other bit error parameters
- Flight splitting and flight phase detection
Once the raw data has been converted the system allows for graphical and textual presentations, flight splitting, flight phase detection and programmable conditional search tools.
Lumina 3dFlight Animation System
Lumina 3d is a powerful, flexible and highly customizable flight animation solution that doesn't compromise high-fidelity animations while enabling users to create their personalized working environment. Lumina 3d, previously known as FAS, includes Lumina 2d and Cesium web visualization. To augment your aviation safety investigation capabilities, Lumina 3d may be purchased together with our Lumina fda suite. It can be used as a bolt-on to other FDA systems.
About Lumina 3d
Lumina 3d is our complete and powerful flight analysis and animation
solution that has been tailored for the aviation community and is based
on over 20 years of experience in the production of flight
visualization, flight recorder playback, flight training, and
investigation tools. It is designed to provide the customer with insight
into their flight operational profile and/or single incident
investigation by offering the most expansive investigation programming
features available on the market today, all while keeping in mind the
cost-conscious business environment in which we find ourselves. Lumina
3d is modular in design allowing the user to use those modules deemed
necessary for their particular needs. It also has an authoring
environment that allows the end-user to make their system configuration
changes and construct their personalized in-house toolsets.
Lumina 3d's revolutionary design is built using web-enabled technologies making it possible to convert your projects to shareable, secure, encrypted and password-protected files comprised of fully interactive plots and animations via the web. Secure web-based distribution makes it simple to disseminate data plots and animations. Lumina 3d has available three different modules Lumina 2d, the animation module, and the LuminaWeb web-sharing module.
Flight Data Animation Module - High Fidelity World Environment
We have adopted a software development methodology that leverages
visual environments to the greatest extent possible. With this in
mind, we have chosen to integrate Lumina 3d with the Cesium
Geobrowser and X-Plane Simulator as independent animation rendering
environments to provide our customers with feature-rich and
photo-realistic World Views.
Lumina 3d's embedded Cesium geobrowser uses high fidelity, planet-wide, imagery to generate an accurate 3d world view. The dynamic view will zoom in to see continents, regions, countries, cities, and finally individual houses, trees, and other natural and man-made objects. In addition, since Cesium is completely WebGL compatible there are no issues with the security risks associated with embedded Plugins injected into your browser.
Lumina 3d allows the multi-screen display that helps flight safety investigators to analyze and present an event in an accurately replicated cockpit-like environment.
We replicate cockpit instruments and drive them with recorded and
derived flight data. There are many issues with this approach, so, in
addition to replicated cockpit displays, we also provide a generic
investigator display template optimized to investigate FOQA events,
incidents and accidents.
There is a crucial difference between displays designed to communicate data to a pilot for the purposes of flying an aircraft and displays designed to communicate data to a flight data analyst for the purposes of understanding what happened. Therefore, we give flexibility to our end-user to edit their working environment to best serve their needs.
Revolutionary Web Technology
LuminaWeb is a revolutionary game-changing web-enabled application. It
makes it possible to upload fully interactive animation content onto our
servers for secure distribution of those animations. LuminaWeb replaces
the need to produce cumbersome videos and/or to distribute antiquated
limited use viewers around your organization. The animations and plots
are viewable, but not downloadable, by the end viewer. The creator of
the LuminaWeb presentation controls when the animation or plot expires
and the password security to protect their potentially sensitive data
presentations. LuminaWeb is a reliable, high-fidelity method of sharing
your work with others whether for information and education
distribution, airport familiarization or to elicit feedback from the
flight crew involved, eliminating the need for expensive and
time-consuming travel to a safety office.
Like our Lumina 3D software solution, LuminaWeb's modular design allows the user to use those modules deemed necessary for their particular needs.
Follow these links to see live examples of LuminaWeb projects: Lumina 2d Lumina 3d
- Compute flight paths
- Make flight path corrections
- Manage, correct, and derive data parameters
- Add events or detailed text markers along the flight path
- Insert, remove, position, and size flight deck displays