lumina|fdaFlight Data Analytics
lumina|fda is an evolution of the Insight|FDM system continuously
developed since 2002 by Flightscape/Plane Sciences and the modern
web-based FDA solution developed over more than a decade by AIRINC.
lumina|fda takes advantage of the latest innovations in web technologies
and database architecture as well as years of lessons learned from our
government, aircraft manufacturer and rapidly growing airline air safety
community. lumina|fda is accessible on any device running a modern web
browser with a high-speed internet connection and has been optimized for
multiple workflows. Innovative database architecture allows querying
data on a parametric level and creates various reports without data
reprocessing. Modern user-type-based and real-time configurable
dashboards replace traditional static reporting methods. Users have the
flexibility to work from anywhere by simply logging into the system
through highly secure web browser technology.
lumina|fda includes an optional fuel efficiency module (lumina|E3) (click here for more)
- Web-based technology allows lumina|fda to be available through any modern web browser.
- New database architecture facilitates retrospective analysis on a parametric level in a fraction of the time compared to traditional systems
- User interface to define events without programming
- Web-based instant data plots to validate/study events
- Web-based instant 3D flight animation viewer
- Integrated web-based real-time configurable dashboards which support Business Intelligence analysis
- Open architecture database for integration and connectivity to other data sources
- Conditional automatic notifications based on user profiles
- Unlimited number of users with configurable user roles and permissions
- Automated data transfer system
- Auto validation feature
- Incorporated airport database and regularly maintained that allows detailed airport view
- Integrated METAR reports on take-off and landing using NOAA data source
- Optional fuel/efficiency cost savings module
NEW Retrospective/Query capability in seconds without reprocessing
lumina|fda is breaking new ground by using leading-edge technologies to enhance flight data analysis and reporting and gives you the power to freely ask questions about your flight data without affecting your flight data analysis results and reports.
- Query at the flight, event, snapshot or parameter level
- An excellent way to rapidly 'trial & error' develop new events
- Redesigned database architecture can return queries from tens of thousands of flights in only minutes
- Queries can return multiple simultaneous values for correlation analysis
- Query key performance indicators
Approach Speed example
Retrospective query capability was used to rapidly plot thousands of approaches color-coded by airspeed to visualize high-speed approaches that could lead to instability.
B737-MAXs the MCAS Issue example
Retrospective query capability was used to rapidly review thousands of B737-MAX flights to identify any aircraft tails that had an AOA mis-compare, which is a leading causal factor in the two recent MCAS-related accidents.
Lumina E3 is a fuel & economic analysis tool. It is an enhanced report
of your aircraft's/fleet's economic performance. E3 identifies
inefficiencies that can save money when addressed.
- Fuel Efficiency Assessments - Fuel Conservation
- Fulfilling EU Emissions Monitoring and Reporting Requirements
- Aircraft Movement Analysis - Ground Holds
- Airport Analysis (Runway Condition)
- Aircraft Performance Studies
- Arresting Systems Analysis (Brakes/Thrust)
- Flight Plan Validation
lumina|2dCore Plot/List System
lumina|2d is our latest plot and list engineering analysis tool. It is based on the newer AIRINC FAS/FASTER technology. All lumina|2d customers get an optional free copy of Insight|Analysis if required for legacy work or for the occasional features not yet implanted in lumina|2d.
- The platform of choice among air safety investigators from government and aircraft OEMs
- Robust engineering units conversion engine with features based on requirements from use on major international accident investigations since the 1990s
- A huge library of datamaps constantly updated through our extensive accident investigation user community
- Ideal for detailed single-flight deep dive analysis
- Web-based plot/tabular viewer allows interactive sharing
lumina|2d is a software module for flight data and cockpit voice recorder import and replay. lumina|2d has the ability to import data files downloaded directly from Flight Data Recorders QAR / DAR / DFDR.
- Catalogue Editor to manage multiple flight data sources
- Extendable embedded math/performance functions
- Open architecture
- Supports all western-built FDRs/QARs/DARs/etc.
- Fixed and rotary wing
- Excellent tool for annual maintenance readouts and deep dive investigations
- Complimentary copy of Insight|Analysis (legacy software) provided with each lumina|2d/3d license
- Alternate X allows any parameter on the x-axis (distance to threshold for example)
- Automatic logging of datamap changes/data derivations
- Processes data on the fly (no need for intermediate CSV files)
- Extensive Datamap Editor
- One-stop shopping: we are approved AMO for annual regulatory maintenance readouts
lumina|2d also has the ability to import various other types of files directly into the system such as:
- Comma Separated Value Files (CSV)
- Simulator Output Files
- ADS/B data
Insight|Analysis - Core Plotting System
While we are working on augmenting the capabilities of lumina|2d and
merging functionalities between our two plotting solutions we are still
offering our legacy software Insight|Analysis together with the current
version of lumina|2d.
- Datamap and Flight Data Editor
- User-programable functions with the Function Editor
- Deriving parameters from raw data automatically or manually
- Fully customizable screen layout with save-layout functionality
- Save plot layouts as templates for rapid data analysis
- Automatic detection and filtering of NCD, NDU or other bit error parameters
- Flight splitting and flight phase detection
Once the raw data has been converted the system allows for graphical and textual presentations, flight splitting, flight phase detection and programmable conditional search tools.
lumina|3dFlight Animation System
lumina|3d is a powerful, flexible and highly customizable flight animation solution that doesn't compromise high-fidelity animations while enabling users to create their personalized working environment. lumina|3d, previously known as FAS, includes lumina|2d and Cesium web visualization. To augment your aviation safety investigation capabilities, lumina|3d may be purchased together with our Lumina fda suite. It can be used as a bolt-on to other FDA systems.
- The platform of choice among air safety investigators from government and aircraft OEMs
- Includes lumina|2d core plot/list module
- Ideal for detailed single-flight deep dive analysis (same tools as the safety investigation community)
- Desktop and web-based technology allows interactive sharing
- 3d visualization leverages Cesium (web-based) and X-Plane (desktop)
- Unique user community (leading experts from authorities, aircraft manufacturers and operators)
lumina|3d's revolutionary design is built using web-enabled technologies
making it possible to convert your projects to shareable, secure,
encrypted and password-protected files comprised of fully interactive
plots and animations via the web. Secure web-based distribution makes it
simple to disseminate data plots and animations.
- Replica instrumentation are the same displays used by the aircraft OEMs
- Investigation display in addition to cockpit replica instrumentation works for all aircraft types for initial deep dive diagnosis
- Can be used for secure pilot debrief immediately after a flight (web version)
- Real-world terrain, visibility, sun angles (time of day)
- Integrated audio transcript/subtitles
- Auto-event import/synchronization with lumina|fda
- User customizable for diverse investigation
- Georeferenced Jeppesen charts
- Supports simultaneous multiple aircraft
- Data-driven synthetic audio
- Fixed and rotary wings
Flight Data Animation Module - High Fidelity World Environment
We have adopted a software development methodology that leverages
visual environments to the greatest extent possible. With this in
mind, we have chosen to integrate lumina|3d with the Cesium
Geobrowser and X-Plane Simulator as independent animation rendering
environments to provide our customers with feature-rich and
photo-realistic World Views.
lumina|3d's embedded Cesium geobrowser uses high fidelity, planet-wide, imagery to generate an accurate 3d world view. The dynamic view will zoom in to see continents, regions, countries, cities, and finally individual houses, trees, and other natural and man-made objects. In addition, since Cesium is completely WebGL compatible there are no issues with the security risks associated with embedded Plugins injected into your browser.
lumina|3d allows the multi-screen display that helps flight safety investigators to analyze and present an event in an accurately replicated cockpit-like environment.
We replicate cockpit instruments and drive them with recorded and
derived flight data. There are many issues with this approach, so, in
addition to replicated cockpit displays, we also provide a generic
investigator display template optimized to investigate FOQA events,
incidents and accidents.
There is a crucial difference between displays designed to communicate data to a pilot for the purposes of flying an aircraft and displays designed to communicate data to a flight data analyst for the purposes of understanding what happened. Therefore, we give flexibility to our end-user to edit their working environment to best serve their needs.
Revolutionary Web Technology
Our new web technology makes it possible to upload fully interactive animation content onto our servers for secure distribution of those animations. This feature replaces the need to produce cumbersome videos and/or to distribute antiquated limited use viewers around your organization. The animations and plots are viewable, but not downloadable, by the end viewer. The creator of the web presentation controls when the animation or plot expires and the password security to protect their potentially sensitive data presentations. This is a reliable, high-fidelity method of sharing your work with others whether for information and education distribution, airport familiarization or to elicit feedback from the flight crew involved, eliminating the need for expensive and time-consuming travel to a safety office.
Follow these links to see live examples of web projects: lumina|2d lumina|3d
- Compute flight paths
- Make flight path corrections
- Manage, correct, and derive data parameters
- Add events or detailed text markers along the flight path
- Insert, remove, position, and size flight deck displays